Caldo de Pescado
This recipe for Fish Stock is not exact with the quantities suggested a general guide for you. Do however be careful not to use fish bits that have too strong a flavour. I would say use white fish and steer clear of smoked fish.
To make about 1 litre/1.5 pints
- 900g (2lb) of fish bits including bones and heads
- 1 onion quartered
- 1 carrot peeled and quartered
- 1 leek sliced
- 150ml (1/4 pint) white wine
- 1 litre (1.5 pints) cold water
- a small bunch of fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme etc.
- 1 bay leaf
- some peppercorns
Put all of the ingredients in a very large stock pan and bring to the boil, cover it and leave it to simmer for at least half an hour but more if possible.
Strain it and remember to keep the liquid – obvious but sometimes your instinct may be to keep the solids and throw the liquid away.
You can keep this in the fridge for up to 24 hours or freeze it and keep for up to 1 month.