C’an Picafort lies in the centre of the Bay of Alcudia on the north coast of Mallorca. Its beach stretches the full length of the resort then continues to Alcudia and beyond. From the most northerly point of the resort there is a pedestrianised walkway and bicycle path which runs along the side of the beach as far as the very helpful C’an Picafort tourist information office in the main town.
The attractive port area towards the southern end of the resort is the base for numerous leisure activities and boat trips. There are beautiful views from the port in both directions towards the headlands of Cap de Farrutx in the east and towards Cap de Menorca beyond Alcudia. The Don Denis restaurant at the southern part of the port is a lovely spot to have dinner and take in this scenery.
The resort itself particularly caters for a mixture of German, British, Dutch and Scandinavian visitors. It is quite spread out rather than being high rise. Many buildings near the seafront look fairly run down and you’ll find the better accommodation in the streets further back running up towards the main road into Alcudia. The Passeig de Colon which runs parallel to the beachfront comes alive in the evening when locals and tourists alike mix in the many bars and restaurants along this stretch.
Things to Do in C’an Picafort
Nearby attractions include the C’an Picafort karting track which is the biggest in Mallorca and the Rancho Grande where you can go horse riding by day or simply endulge yourself at one of their barbecues by night. This stretch of water from C’an Picafort to Alcudia is a favourite spot for windsurfers and lessons are available for beginners.
Different boat trips head out of Can Picafort daily including ones along the stunning headland of Cap de Formentor. Check timetables locally for details. Golfers will be delighted to know that there are six golf courses within 30km.
The main local festivals take place for a week beginning on 15th August (Day of the Blessed Virgin) when there are all kinds of activities including a great firework display at midnight on the last day. Other major days of celebration are Santa Margarita (20th July) and Santa Catalina Tomas on the first Sunday of September.
Recommended Hotels in Ca’n Picafort
- Lying just 200 metres from the beach the Grupotel Farrutx offers fine facilities for a relaxing family holiday. There is a good sized outdoor pool as well as a children’s pool, a heated indoor pool and a range of other leisure facilities including a sauna and jacuzzi.
- The Grupotel Montecarlo is the sister hotel of the Farrutx (above) and offers very similar facilities. It is only 300m from the beach and has a swimming pool with children’s pool as well as a children’s playground. There are jacuzzis, a sauna and gym as well as other activities and evening entertainment. The resort’s nightlife and shopping facilities are nearby.
- If you’re interested in some self-catering during your holiday take a look at the Grupotel Picafort Beach which are small apartments and studios from the same Grupotel chain. They are well located right on the beach, the swimming pool area and balconies offering fabulous views over the bay. Children are again well catered for and buffet meals are available in the restaurant.
- For location you should consider the Miramar Hotel which is located right on the beach of Can Picafort where each room has a sea view from its terrace. There is a good range of facilities available including a swimming pool that caters for adults and children alike and plenty sports can be practised in the area.
- A little more upmarket is the four star THB Gran Playa which is located in the centre of Ca’n Picafort just 50m from a beautiful sandy beach with clean waters. Plenty activities are available for adults including the popular beer garden and children can amuse themselves at the swimming pool and games area. It offers easy access to all the resorts nightlife.
Booking.com have a great selection of C’an Picafort Hotels at very attractive prices.
You really should rent a car in Mallorca as there’s so much to see all over the island. Take a look at the Mallorca excursions page for a summary of some of the main attractions which are only a short distance from C’an Picafort.